Monday, December 31, 2007

On The Road Again

Happy New Year

I hope that you have had a great time during the holiday season and let me be the first to wish you a Happy New Year.

It’s been a whirlwind tour for me personally since the week before Christmas.

I drove to Shreveport on the night of Dec. 14th for the games on the 15th at Louisiana College. I set up shop in Shreveport for three days. On Saturday, I drove down to Pineville to call the two games. The Cowgirls pulled away late from the emerging Wildcats and then the Cowboys won on a last second shot by Steven Luckey. With it being an afternoon game, I drove back to Shreveport to file my stories to the media and also the web site.

I then had a day-and-a-half to kill in Shreveport before heading to Clinton, Miss., for the Monday night games. After the games, I drove all the way back from Clinton. I pulled into Abilene at about 5:30 a.m. Man, does that drive get longer every year.
After playing with my four-year old for a little bit and seeing my wife for the first time in four days, I was off to bed at about 7:30 a.m. and I did not wake up until 5ish in the afternoon.

I made it to work on Wednesday for a few hours and then started one of the few down times during the whole school year. My in-laws were here on Friday through Sunday and then on Monday I drove to Oklahoma for some more family time.

I came back to Abilene on Thursday and then went on to Georgetown on Friday afternoon to call the women’s game against Buena Vista. What an exciting game with Mollie Brawner hitting the game-winning 3-pointer with less than a second remaining. I then headed up the Interstate to Temple where I stayed the night. LaQuinta Inn and I have become good friends over the years. There seems to be one in about every town we stay in and if I can get in that is where I stay.

I got up on Saturday and drove to Arlington for the men’s game on Saturday. After the game. I went back to Oklahoma to pick up my wife and kid, who had stayed at grandma’s for a week. It was back to Abilene on Sunday and finally home and the normal travel schedule can get started.

I had started to feel like I was a long-haul truck driver. The Cowboys and Cowgirls return home for a Thursday night game against Ozarks.

It was good to see some former players on the road this weekend. I saw one of my favorite all-time Cowgirls Lauren Harris, who was in Georgetown to see sister Kristen play for HSU. I didn’t get to talk to here, but last I heard she was a strength coach at Ohio State.

I got see one of my all-time favorite Cowboy baseball players, Michael Popino on Saturday at UTA. He was there supporting the alma mater. He works in Plano now and always makes it out when we are in the Metroplex. It is nice to have those loyal alumni out there.

I hope to see you guys out at the game on Thursday against Ozarks. It is turning to crunch time for both teams as we are just three games away from ASC West play.

No comments: