Thursday, September 11, 2008

Land of 10,000 Lakes

Being from Oklahoma, I always have scoffed at the idea that everything’s bigger in Texas. On our trip to Minneapolis, I think Minnesota should use the logo “Everything’s Bigger in Minnesota”.

Everything seemed bigger to me. The Mall of America is ridiculous. Grapevine Mills would fit in the amusement park area of the thing. I have never seen so many stores. Then there steaks – wow – I have had a lot of good steaks in a lot of places, but I put our pregame steak up there with anything I have had. Not to mention the coconut cream pie. I love my grandma to death, but she got outdone on my favorite dessert.

Some other things that I noticed on the trip to.

The Republicans were leaving and that’s a good thing. They thought the election was apparently held last week. The election can wait until November.

The Metrodome is starting to show its age, but is a great place to watch a game. One question though, is 21 not the drinking limit there, because it seemed everyone over about the age of 14 had a beer (or maybe I am getting older and those 21-year olds look 14).

Saturday night games make Sunday’s very long. We got out of the stadium at Winona State around 10:15 and we got to our hotel about 1:15 a.m. By the time I did some work updating the web it was 2 a.m., which made that 4 a.m. wakeup call come very early. Fortunately we were back in Abilene by 11:30, but that doesn’t matter much when you have a four-year old and naps are not an option.

Chris McNair is probably the smartest person I know and he can explain things to dummies (like me) where they can understand it.

It has been a fast a furious start to the fall sport season, despite the fact that we have not had a home event so far.

The football game was quite an adventure. It definitely had its ebbs and flows. It seemed like we dominated the first quarter and you look up and it is still 0-0. They were able to break a long run to take a 7-0 halftime lead and there was not a sense of doubt at that point.

Two short fields led to a couple more scores for UWL and at 21-0 some doubt had started to creep in. Then a quick score and a couple of turnovers by them and scores by us and suddenly it is 21 all with a little over nine minutes to play.

Then they drive it down to the two and we come up with a big stop to keep the emotion on our side. Then the first play a mishandled snap causes a safety with just over three minutes to play. We get the key defensive stop and a clutch drive and kick for the win. It was the biggest deficit the Cowboys have overcome for a win in the Keeling era.

Men’s and women’s soccer got their first wins of the season last weekend and both of those young teams continue to grow each week. Both coaches say the same thing in the fact that by November they could be scary good.

Volleyball went 2-2 on its trip to Atlanta. Men’s and women’s tennis played at ACU over the weekend and I am still waiting on those results. The cross country teams had their first ever meet on Saturday at ACU. Women’s golf opened the season with a fourth-place finish at the UT-Dallas Tournament.

No comments: